Unmasking What Lies Beneath
An in-person movement workshop
Saturday, October 29th, 2022 3pm - 6pm
Cost: $35 - $55 sliding fee scale
The theme for this Dance Medicine workshop is "Unmasking What Lies Beneath". We will explore our complexity of being (sub-personalities) and the many ways we may "mask" our true essence to fit in, stand out, earn love, ensure safety, feel accepted, etc.
Once we identify the cast of characters operating within us, we can begin to understand why they do what they do.
Then the dance begins.
How can we bring more balance to our inner community? How can we get in touch with what lies beneath the many masks, being hidden and protected, but is surely the most precious of treasures?
Enter, the archetypes... These "primordial images" supply us with universal patterns of energy we can recognize, acting as guideposts for our journey. They bring both light and shadow aspects, furthering the plot and giving us access to our inner strengths and inner vulnerabilities.
This is deep work, my friends. And we will just touch upon it. But let's have some fun with it! Bring along some costume pieces to liven up or deepen your dance experience if it pleases you.
Space is limited. Please register using the link below to reserve a spot.
About Dance Medicine:
Dance Medicine is an invitation to explore your personal medicine gifts through embodied dance, sacred circle, inner inquiry, and soul work.
Movement is a deep and primal language. The body never lies! We can find out what we need to know by listening to it and through it. We can let our emotions flow by allowing the body to move with them. We can express by moving and grooving and stomping and flowing. And we can honor as we move in a sacred way, in a mindful way, clearing away obstacles, and inviting in what we want to embody.
Let's find out what happens when we come together with intention.
When we honor the circle:
all of us teachers,
all of us students.
Dance Medicine is an invitation to:
Listen to your inner wisdom.
Tend to your grief and pain, as well as your deepest longings and joy.
Be part of the beauty.
Courageously step into your Self.
Who should come?:
All are welcome who come with an attitude of inclusivity, respect and curiosity.
What to expect: (some possibilities)
- Sharing in circle space and honoring confidentiality
- Freeform dance to recorded music and/or live drumming (no dance experience necessary)
- Guided movement explorations
- Practices of self inquiry and healing
- Breath and light-body practices
- Journaling, art making
- Singing / sounding
-A dynamic space with varying energy levels (ie quiet/stillness to vigorous/high energy)
- A meditative atmosphere
- A framework that holds space for our whole selves: body, mind, heart, soul, and spirit.
- A context of ceremony/ritual which is alive, created in the moment by our collective intention-setting
- The unexpected!
What to bring:
- Wear comfortable clothing in layers
- Bare feet, socks, or indoor footwear for dancing (footwear must have non-marking soles)
- Water bottle
- Floor seating props if you wish (cushions available onsite, chairs upon request)
- Your favorite journal, pen, art supplies (some will be provided)
- Item(s) to place on our community altar if desired.
(About the altar: Our communal altar has no association with any specific religion. Only a universal spirituality. It serves to remind us of our connection to something greater than ourselves.)
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS EVENT